Third-Party Labelled, Sustainably Built Homes' Advantages
Built Green’s holistic approach goes beyond energy, offering a competitive advantage, and provides builders with pass-along benefits for their homebuyers, and a way to meet consumer demand for healthier, more sustainable homes with the economic benefits that come with increased efficiency and durability.
The benefits of certifying homes through Built Green Canada continue to increase, as our programs address energy efficiency—so they complement energy-focused building code—and then go beyond for a more comprehensive approach to sustainable building practices. This means that builders certifying with us are building homes beyond the status quo, offering them an edge over their competition and signalling to their customers they’re doing more than code requires.
Incentives and rebates are available across the country and may vary based on project type (single family, renovation, and low rise multi-family). A breakdown per province may be found here: www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/funding/efficiency/4947.
Premium Mortgage Insurance Rebate
Meanwhile, single family projects certified through Built Green Canada are eligible for a premium mortgage insurance rebate. Rebates can be calculated here: www.builtgreencanada.ca/mortgage-rebate-calculator. That’s cash in the homebuyer's pocket!
Consumer Demand for Sustainably Built Homes is on the Rise
- Overall energy efficient home – 58% must have; 30% really want.
- High-efficiency windows – 60% must have; 26% really want.
- Energy-efficient appliances – 64% must have; 24% really want.
- HRV / ERV air exchange systems – 54% must have; 27% really want.
- Plus, 46% say certification / rating is a must have; 30% really want. The demand for a home certification label reflects a steadily increasing trend over the four years of this study.
- Meanwhile, dual-flush toilets and low-flow water fixtures rated high as well—in-demand sustainable features go beyond energy efficiency.
** 2023 Canadian Home Buyer Preference National Study by CHBA National and AVID Ratings.